Friday, May 16, 2014

Summertime Essentials

Today I decided to make a post consisting of some of my summertime essentials excluding things like clothing and specific makeup items. Obviously this isn't everything, it's mainly just a few random categories+products that I like... Hopefully you'll somehow find this helpful! 


Anti-Breakage Serum: All that swimming (whether it's in a pool or ocean or even river/lake) is going to damage your hair one way or another, and if you need something more steady than a once-a-week hair mask, I definitely recommend some sort of serum or extra conditioning something rather that you can use after every hair wash.  The one I use and love is the Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Serum. Not only does it smell amazing but it makes my hair so soft and shiny, and because of my hair type I can't brush it that often otherwise I'll get a poofy mess, but since using this stuff I don't even need to brush it! It never gets knotted anymore! And if it does get knotted and I comb it, the comb just runs so smoothly... it's wonderful. 

The actual Organix shampoo and conditioner didn't do much for me, but I have tried their hair treatments and I really do like them! Plus the packaging is really cute! 

Facial SPF: SPF is definitely a must, even when the sun isn't out! I went to a dermatologist recently because of my annoying sensitive skin, and although I did switch to Cetaphil products about a year ago, she recommended me try the CeraVe line, the Facial Moisturizing Lotion with SPF 30 in particular! Let me tell you it's SO much easier having something with SPF already in it. I have been using this for about a month (as well as the body lotion) and I have a lot of good things to say about them! The moisturizer itself is very lovely and your skin soaks it up. The only downside to this item is that because of the SPF, throughout the day you can end up looking a bit oily but it's not anything major. If it does bother you blotting sheets or setting powder can definitely fix that! I'm not sure if this would suit oily skin but I'm sure there are other SPF moisturizers out there that would work on you!

 All over SPF is important too. I would recommend a good sunscreen for everyday use but I am currently still on the hunt for one! If you have one you love definitely let me know in the comments!

Setting Spray: I don't use this every day but when I know I am going to be out and about and it's going to be sweltering hot, I always spritz some on before I go out the door. I wanted to try out the different Urban Decay ones to see if one was better than the other, so I currently am just using the mini version of the Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray. You wouldn't think that some chemicals in a bottle would stop your makeup from melting off but it really does... Where was this when I went to Kona last Summer??? At least I know the first thing that is going in my makeup bag when I go again this year! 


Mint Sorbet, Flip Flop Fantasy, Butler Please

Nails: If you always have a color on your nails, like me, definitely invest in a good base coat and top coat! It actually makes all the difference in the world! I have trouble with polish peeling on me and literally just popping off, and I thought it was just because of my oily nail beds (is that a thing?) or something like that... My mani usually lasts about three days before it peels off, but since I started using the Beauty Secrets Base Coat my manicure literally lasts about a week! I don't think it'll last that long if your in and out of the water but I have a feeling my nails will be lasting way longer than two days! As for a topcoat I swear by Seche Vite... I refuse to use anything else. I also would recommend staying away from matte/satin finishes unless your planning to use a topcoat.. Those chip a lot faster than regular creme formulas. And if you need your mani to last as long as it can, go for a textured polish like something shimmery or glittery... Those won't budge! But if your using the Seche Vite topcoat I would try to avoid Zoya nail polish... For some reason it shrinks it and your left with something that looks like tip wear.

Summer colors usually vary from person to person but I thought I would include a few I know I'll be loving this season! 


Snacks: I know these are a bit odd to add in here but Summer is the season for fruit! Don't take that for granted (*cough* like me *cough*). Definitely eat as much fruit as you can before the winter months come! I've been obsessed with oranges lately but what I am so excited for is the WATERMELON! YAASSSSSS. 

For something to drink I would definitely go with an iced tea for some sort because unlike soda it doesn't bloat you and in the end you actually can lose weight just by cutting it out, on top of that it's so much more hydrating! Obviously drinks TONS of water but if your like me and get sick of water because of how much you consume, definitely go for some sort of tea! 


Swimwear: Last but not least is swimwear. Okay, I know this is most obvious thing in the world but I want to stress how important it is to find something that not only fits you really well because that makes all the difference in the world! My friend is super insecure of her body and uses nothing but one pieces however she tried on my friends bottoms a few weeks ago and let me tell you this is the first time in two years I have seen her in a bikini.

 Everyone has different body types so definitely try on a lot of different styles to see what looks the best on you! Especially with the bottoms. 

For me, since I have kind of big hips, wider bands look better than simple string bikini's. These particular ones are from Pull & Bear and I also have them in black!  I love the cut of these... They are more cheeky than your average bathing suit bottoms but they don't expose your entire backside which is always lovely for those people who weren't blessed with a nice butt (aka me). 

For my top, I have this black one from Topshop which is lovely because it goes with everything, and it fits really nicely and not to mention comfortable. The underwire is a god-send because it helps me in the boobage department (itty-bitty-titty-commitee member right hurrr) and that's always nice.

                                                                                                                                                                  


Anyway, I hope this somehow helped you! Definitely let me know what your summer essentials are! 

One of these days I'll actually get to the beach and take some photos for what I keep in my beach bag so definitely look forward to that! 


1 comment:

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop me a comment! I read and appreciate every single one. I most definitely will reply to your question so please remember to check back!